We live in a digital era where all are dependent on software applications for their day-to-day operations, both personal and professional. With technology evolving every day, the need for certain applications has also increased to meet the ever-growing demands of consumers.
One of the latest, yet promising technologies is the blockchain. It is a decentralized digital ledger that powers the cryptocurrency-based transactions. Although the uses of blockchain technology were limited to the financial industry, today, it is applied in several industries. However, with the recent developments, blockchain technology has been rising to next-generation software applications called dApps (decentralized apps). Thus, it marks the beginning of dApp development.
What is a dApp?
Most of the apps available today are centralized, which means a single governing center is controlling the information flow and individual units. On the contrary, decentralized apps are those that have decentralized software models and are distributed, meaning they are controlled by multiple nodes. Thus, it also means that a single authority cannot control and change decentralized apps.
Apart from this, what sets apart decentralized apps from centralized apps is that the former apps are developed and hosted using blockchain technology.
What are the major advantages and disadvantages of a dApp?
Just like any other system or technology, decentralized apps also have advantages and disadvantages.
Advantages of a dApp
- One of the major advantages of decentralized apps is the highest-levels of security. The code of dApps is stored on the blockchain platform. Since the data is distributed on multiple nodes, attacking the whole network is almost impossible and very expensive.
- With the public and private keys for accessing information, dApps don’t need subscription or registration.
- Transactions in a decentralized app can occur directly, and in cryptocurrency without any need of a third-party financial operator.
- Due to open source and public registry, dApps are easy-to-use and transparent.
Disadvantages of a dApp
- Building dApps is very difficult, as it requires complex protocols to achieve consensus.
- Updating dApps is also not easy. This is because every peer on the network needs to update their node software, which is quite complex.
Although the process of dApp development is still in its infancy, it proves to offer cost-effective solutions that can eliminate the limitations of traditional apps.
Considering the number of advantages of a dApp, more entrepreneurs have started to leverage this emerging technology to benefit their businesses. If you’re searching for a company that offers Steem dApp development, get in touch with Steem Experts.